- Our Work
- Get Involved
Search for Help
GIFTS-IN-KIND – How to Give StuffHere is how you can help us to quickly find a nonprofit home for your donated items:
- Fill out the following form as completely as possible. Pictures offer even better results and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add a small-sized photo as an ATTACHMENT to the email.
- All items must be in good condition (an agency can refuse to accept your donation if it does not match your original description). Because of health concerns, we currently are not accepting mattresses unless they are brand new.
- Our auditors require the approximate current value of your item to the best of your knowledge.
- Your submission is sent to the United Way Gifts-In-Kind Coordinator. Within a couple of days, the description of your items will be sent to hundreds of nonprofit agencies in the Hudson Valley. (NOTE: the only personal information in the e-mail will be your name, contact information, and city where items are located. No street address is given until you share it).
- Interested nonprofits will contact you directly to arrange for a pickup at your convenience. Please save all contact information in case the first contact does not work out or if the nonprofit can take only part of your donation.
- The nonprofit will follow up with an official letter which may be used as proof of your donation to the IRS.
- NOTE: items will only be picked up within a 50 mile radius of White Plains, NY.
- After your donation has been picked up, please call 914 997-6700 x755 or email email@example.com with the name of the nonprofit, name of the person who contacted you, and their telephone number. This ensures your charitable tax letter, fulfills our auditors' requirements, and will keep our program alive and ongoing.
- The United Way of Westchester and Putnam gladly coordinates the donations of gifts-in-kind among individuals, companies and non-profit organizations. The United Way of Westchester and Putnam is not responsible for any damage or inconvenience encountered during a Gifts-In-Kind transaction.
For more information on Gifts-In-Kind, please contact Mary Ann Pero at 914-997-6700 x755.