Methods for giving securities to United Way of Westchester and Putnam, Inc.
and its Local United Way Member Communities
The following methods are listed in order of preference. United Way advises donors to consult their personal tax advisors regarding the tax consequences as they apply to the donor at the time of transfer. United Way staff cannot legally provide tax or estate planning advice.
(914) 997-6700 ext. 708
Instructions and Methods for Donating Securities:
1. If your broker holds the securities you wish to give to United Way, instruct him/her to transfer them to the United Way account at Vanguard.
2. Mail the unendorsed stock certificate(s), registered in your name, to Roseann Winter at United Way, 336 Central Park Ave, White Plains, NY 10606-1500. In a separate envelope, mail a signed stock power, available from your broker or the United Way Finance Department.
- In order for United Way to properly acknowledge your gift, please contact, or have your broker contact, Roseann Winter, Senior Vice President for Finance/Controller (914) 997-6700 ext. 708, or firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the name of the securities, number of shares, expected date of transfer, and to which local United Way member community in Westchester or Putnam, or to which workplace campaign, you want your gift credited.
- Gift is valued by United Way at the mean price (high and low averaged) on the day the stock is received in the Vanguard account.
- Account Name: United Way of Westchester and Putnam, Inc.
- DTC # 0062
- Account #: 45587573
- Taxpayer ID#: 13-1997636
3. It is possible to endorse a security and deliver it to United Way, however, it may be some time before the transfer of the stock is actually accomplished on the books of the corporation. Therefore, this method is not recommended.
- Be sure to indicate in your cover letter to which local United Way member community in Westchester or Putnam, or to which workplace campaign, you want your gift credited.
- Gift is valued by United Way at the mean price on the day the later of the two envelopes (stock certificates and signed stock power) is postmarked.
4. When giving other types of securities, such as mutual funds, bonds or notes, specific advice from your broker or other advisor should be obtained.